Monday, February 20, 2012

NEM! (From Aaron)

“Nem” means no.  And I have said it 5000 times in the last 3 days.  I feel like a modern day Nazi in Hungary.  Both Kimbo and I are trying hard not to be too punishing or lay it on too thick, but we have to start getting through to them that we are the authority. 

Friday the 17th
Sorry about the date jumping but Kimbo and I want to share our different perspectives. 

“Pilsine (pish-ee)” is the Hungarian word for pee and for some reason the boys want to go constantly, like it’s a way to keep themselves entertained so I have started telling them “5 minutes” every time they ask me.  Usually they forget and we go another 30 or 40 minutes before they ask again.  Also, just like any kid their age, they insist on flipping all the light switches in the room off and on off and on constantly.  If we didn’t put our foot down they would just do it over and over and over again.  The hotel had light switches by the bed and they would have played with them for hours if we didn't stop them.  So this has been our first chance to show them we are the authority and when we say you can’t do it, you just can’t do it.  So we are keeping a consistent message with consequences if they disobey.  Let’s put it this way, they know what “timeout” means.  I think it is working. 
We give the boys a bath for the first time on this day and everything goes smooth.  I was a little worried they might get emotional during this because they missed their home.  But they enjoyed it.  They sleep all night and its off to Hajduszoboszlo the next day.

Saturday the 18th
It is a cold, foggy, dreary day on the drive to Hajd and I can hardly stay awake in the van.  But I do notice that we are in the open farm country.  There are many many vineyards and corn stalks and even some corn still standing like they didn’t get it all harvested.  I see a lot of equipment dealerships and some Deere combines and Klaas combines around, and know that Dad and Austin would appreciate seeing this.  Also, I am reading a book right now about Hungary during World War II and in October of 1944, the Russians had made their way to Hajduszoboszlo and apparently for about a month, they fought a hell of a tank battle right around and in this town that we are going to, so it is getting more interesting for me. 

Side note:  I guess I didn’t realize it but Hungary was not invaded by the Nazi’s, they were allies with them and part of the Axis from the very beginning.  In fact, even in 1944 they were still fighting the Russians as allies right around the town that we are in right now, finally the Germans/Hungarians conceded this area and all of Hungary in the late fall of 1944.
After seeing the apartment, which is much bigger as Kimbo mentioned, I feel relief that we will have more room to work and live with the boys.  6 weeks is a long time to be here but I am feeling a little better about the bigger place. 


Sunday Feb 19th
Overall a good day, with finding the church and getting our bearings, but not a real easy day with the boys.  I think they are acting out obviously because they are out of their element and probably missing their regular family.  After supper, I hear Christopher / Drew saying “menjunk haz” over and over.  I knew that menjuk “me-nuke” meant let’s go because they say that even when we are going for a walk.  I looked up the word haz and it means “house” so they were saying “let’s go home.”

This all still seems pretty surreal.  I still think to myself, why are we doing this?  Why are we opening ourselves up and being vulnerable and taking this on?  Then Kimbo reminds me that these boys have had a bad start in life.  It is inevitable that they are going to end up in another home anyway.  Their foster home was not permanent.  And so they are going to experience this at some point in their lives.  They can’t live with their birth parents either.  God has placed them with us regardless of my less than confident thoughts.  I think this will drive me to bring them up as productive men who contribute to society and set a positive example.  We have to raise them to be Godly men who can give back and be good stewards someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment